Most speakers need constant inspiration, especially when they’ve hit a wall in creating content or getting an audience to engage with them on a higher level. With this in mind, here’s a helpful list of over 50 books that speakers can read to become a better speaker.
We’ve compiled this list of book recommendations by assessing the areas that speakers typically need inspiration or guidance. Many of these books will cross categories, and have great ideas that span from creating influential openings, to designing impactful slides.
Want to keep things simple? We’ve loosely organized the books into categories, so that you can jump directly to the area where you are looking for a bit of help.
Creating great content
- Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
- 101 Ways to Open a Speech: How to Hook Your Audience From the Start With an Engaging and Effective Beginning
- The Sound Bite Workbook: How to Generate Snappy Tag Lines, Scintillating Interview Quotes, Captivating Book or Article Titles, and Irresistible Marketing or Publicity Handles
- Lead with a Story: A Guide to Crafting Business Narratives That Captivate, Convince, and Inspire
- The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
- 10 Steps to Writing a Vital Speech: The Definitive Guide to Professional Speechwriting
- The Art of Storytelling: Easy Steps to Presenting an Unforgettable Story
- TED Talks Storytelling: 23 Storytelling Techniques from the Best TED Talks
- How to Get Your Point Across in 30 Seconds or Less
- You Are the Message
Creating strong visuals
- Beyond Bullet Points, 3rd Edition: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
- Design For How People Learn (Voices That Matter)
- How to Design TED-Worthy Presentation Slides (Black & White Edition): Presentation Design Principles from the Best TED Talks
- Say It With Charts: The Executive's Guide to Visual Communication
- The Elements of Style
- Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
- Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery (2nd Edition) (Voices That Matter)
- Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
- Why Most PowerPoint Presentations Suck (Third Edition)
- slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations
Excelling in Delivery
- Speak like Yourself- No, Really! Follow Your Strengths and Skills to Great Public Speaking
- How to Deliver a TED Talk: Secrets of the World's Most Inspiring Presentations, revised and expanded new edition, with a foreword by Richard St. John and an afterword by Simon Sinek
- No Sweat Public Speaking!
- The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking
- How to Deliver a Great TED Talk: Presentation Secrets of the World's Best Speakers
- The Power Presenter: Technique, Style, and Strategy from America's Top Speaking Coach
- Principles of Public Speaking
- The Art of Public Speaking, 11th Edition
- Speak from the Heart: How To Master the Art of Public Speaking in 7 Easy Lessons
- Spin Sucks: Communication and Reputation Management in the Digital Age
- The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs: How to Be Insanely Great in Front of Any Audience
- Public Speaking: An Audience-Centered Approach
- Communicate to Influence: How to Inspire Your Audience to Action
- Give Your Speech, Change the World: How To Move Your Audience to Action
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
- Speaking PowerPoint: The New Language of Business
- The Orderly Conversation: Business Presentations Redefined
- Basic Training for Trainers, Third Edition
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
The art of persuasion
- Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
- Strategic Storytelling: How to Create Persuasive Business Presentations
- HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations
- Moving Mountains: Or the Art and Craft of Letting Others See Things Your Way
- Presentation Skills 201: How to Take It to the Next Level as a Confident, Engaging Presenter The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism Crisis Communications: The Definitive Guide to Managing the Message
- Confessions of a Public Speaker (English and English Edition)
- Telling Ain't Training: Updated, Expanded, Enhanced
- How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People By Public Speaking
Are there any books that you found particularly useful that we’ve missed? We would love to hear your suggestions and why you found the book inspirational. Comment below, or contact us, we read every email.
Interested in being listed on SpeakerHub? We are Europe’s fastest-growing speaker network. Find out more here.
Disclaimer: please note that links to the above books are affiliate links.